Morepen Laboratories Limited (NSE: MOREPENLAB, BSE: 500288), a leading manufacturer of high-quality APIs, Home Diagnostics, Formulations and OTC products, yesterday approved incoming investment of Rs. 433 crore in the Extra-Ordinary General Meeting (EGM) of the company. The members approved the issue and allotment of 58.50 million equity shares for cash to Corinth Investment Holdings AG, Switzerland (www.corinthinvest.com) at Rs.41.60 per share aggregating to RS. 243.36 crores.
Shareholders also approved 50 million fully convertible warrants a promoter group company Liquid Holdings Private Limited at Rs.38 per warrant / share aggregating up to Rs. 190 crores for cash to be converted into equity within 18 months, within the limits prescribed in SEBI (SAST) Regulations for acquisition of share / voting rights in a financial year. The issue price of aforesaid securities is derived as per pricing formula prescribed by SEBI in SEBI (ICDR) Regulations.
The meeting of the shareholders of Morepen Laboratories was held on 20th May, 2021 through video conferencing and other audio-visual means. Shareholders also overwhelmingly voted to approve the resolution for issuance of convertible equity shares and warrants as proposed by the Board, over 99.97% voted in favour of the proposal.
This is a milestone for the Company as this approval paves the way to drive exponential growth and create value for all stakeholders. This EGM was the next step for inclusion of Corinth Group, a global private investment Group, headquartered in Switzerland, which announced and extended USD 32.50 million in Morepen Laboratories Limited, out of a total USD 100 million investment in the promoter group.
Mr. Sushil Suri, Chairman and Manging Director, Morepen Labs Ltd. (www.morpen.com) said, "The investment by Corinth further bolsters our position as a market leader in Indian healthcare, it also endorses our approach in the self-diagnostic tools category along with the scale and potential of the API market. It is a testing time for life sciences and pharmaceutical companies in these challenging times and are all geared to enhance our capacities and also expand our markets".
Sir Christopher Pissarides, Chairman of Corinth Group's Advisory Board and Nobel Prize laureate (2010) in Economies, had said, "The investment into Morepen follows from our increased focus on emerging markets, and in particular the health and pharmaceutical industry. India is a key global market with significant growth opportunity, and we look forward to working with management fo help the business develop while catering to a rapidly growing sector."
Speaking about the opportunities that the Indian market presents, Mr. Andreas Matsas, CEO of the Corinth Capital Fund said, "We are bullish about the Indian market and have already started the process of setting up a dedicated full-service office in Delhi, India, through a wholly owned subsidiary which will be functional in May 2021. We are actively working towards sefting up an AIF, in line with Indian regulatory requirements, to cater to the Indian market. Our Investment info Morepen Group establishes Corinth's long-term commitment to the Indian market, - with ongoing investments of another USD 200 million in the Agri and Logistics sector undergoing due diligence."
Morepen has been growing exponentially since last four quarters in spite of restrictive business situations and has posted excellent results for FY21 recording stunning growth of 39% in the net revenue and a stellar 189% jump in net profits after tax as compared to FY20. Earnings per share for the company has also jumped 189% in the same period to Rs. 2.16 per share as compared to Rs. 0.75 per share last year. Company has presence in over 80 countries with exports contributing to 40% in the total revenue and 69% of the API revenue.
Morepen's point of medical devices and diagnostics business is also breaking all records and has registered a growth of 71% in the FY21 with increased demand of medical devices for home use in the middle of pandemic and general health concerns and changing lifestyle. The Company plans to expand the medical devices business and has plan to investing heavily on creation of world class facilities with large capacities and at some stage demerge this business into a separate wholly owned subsidiary.
The Total Fund Infusion in Morepen Laboratories Ltd, including investor funds and promoter's equity would be used in:
- The expansion / scaling up of the company's R&D centre / facilities to meet the significantly enhanced Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) demand, a market size of US$40 billion, that Morepen has in the pipeline for the next 3 years.
- Setting up new USFDA standard API plant to meet the significant ramp up in scale and pipeline the company is working on.
- Establishing a world class facility for Finished Dosages as per USFDA standards at Morepen's pharma complex in Baddi, Himachal Pradesh, to cater to highly sophisticated/regulated markets such as the USA and Japan.
- Investment into world class diagnostics facilities including the manufacture of critical inputs/components/enzymes to meet regulated market standards. India is seeing an exponential jump in household spend on Point of Care/Home Diagnostics and Oxygen Concentrators and other life support systems with demand currently outstripping supply.
- Investment in new products and brands under the Dr Morepen umbrella, an existing household brand, to leverage its pan India distrioution/supply chain and exponential growth in online sales.
- Investment in new age Personal Care/Skin Care brands "Gubb" and "Happier" that are seeing exponential online sales, as well as to leverage our Pan India pharmacy/retail chain network to significantly scale up distribution.
Shares of MOREPEN LABORATORIES LTD. was last trading in BSE at Rs.57.5 as compared to the previous close of Rs. 58.7. The total number of shares traded during the day was 418604 in over 2212 trades.
The stock hit an intraday high of Rs. 60.6 and intraday low of 57.05. The net turnover during the day was Rs. 24538496.